Skip to main content

Correspondence

 Subject
Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus

Found in 112 Collections and/or Records:

Academy of Natural Sciences Bicentenniel Symposium Records

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: ANSP-2010-185
Scope and Contents This is a collection of records related to the Academy's Bicentennial Symposium. Materials include: correspondence between Goulden and the symposium speakers; brief biographical sketches of the speakers; symposium programs, brochures, invitations, and tickets; manuscripts and galley proofs of papers given at the symposium; a published symposium volume, edited by Goulden, entitled The Changing Scenes in the Natural Sciences 1776-1976; and six audio tapes of speakers at the symposium. The...
Dates: 1975-1977

Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia Board of Trustees records

 Collection
Identifier: ANSP-1990-013
Overview The Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia (ANSP) is a natural history museum which was founded in 1812, “for the encouragement and cultivation of the sciences, and the advancement of useful learning.” The ANSP Board of Trustees, was established in 1925, as one of the institution’s primary administrative bodies. The Board of Trustees was charged with establishing financial policies, selecting the Academy President, assisting with fund raising and community relations, and serving as a...
Dates: 1925 - 1990; Majority of material found within 1976 - 1989

Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, Division of Environmental Research Records

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: ANSP-Coll-0999
Overview The Division of Environmental Research (DER) was established as a department of the Academy of Natural Sciences in 1947 by botanist and limnologist, Dr. Ruth Patrick. Originally called the Department of Limnology, the department was envisioned by Patrick as a multidisciplinary team of scientists devoted to helping protect the quality of the environment. Not only was environmental research a novel idea for the time, but the multidisciplinary nature of the research was also innovative. The...
Dates: 1952 - 1995

President's Office and Administrative Records, 1874-2003

 Collection
Identifier: ANSP-Coll-0990
Overview The oldest natural science research institution and museum in the Americas, the Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia (ANSP) was founded in 1812 "for the encouragement and cultivation of the sciences, and the advancement of useful learning." Since the founding of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, there have been twenty-eight presidents and five acting presidents. From 1937 to 1995, there were four presidents and one acting president who left their administrations well...
Dates: 1907 - 2003; Majority of material found within 1939 - 1993

Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia Exhibits Department Records

 Collection
Identifier: ANSP-Coll-0998
Overview Prior to the 1930s, the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia had neither an education department nor an exhibits department. However, the museum clearly stated that “to see that our scientific work is shared with the public in ways that instruct and entertain is one of our direct responsibilities, for knowledge of Nature not only widens the mental horizon, but helps to ease the common burdens of life.” In 1920, Harold T. Green came to work at the Academy. At first, he was in charge...
Dates: 1852-2001

Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia papers on expeditions

 Collection — Box Oversize Small Collections 7
Identifier: ANSP-Coll-0113
Abstract The oldest natural sciences institution in the Western Hemisphere, the Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia, was founded when the United States hugged the Atlantic coastline, and Philadelphia was the cultural, commercial, and scientific center of the new nation. Classic expeditions to explore the western wilderness were organized at the Academy. These explorers brought back new species of plants and animals, which were studied and catalogued; and which formed the foundation of the...
Dates: 1819 - 1969

Adolphus Lippe papers

 Collection
Identifier: HU.088
Overview Dr. Adolphus Lippe was a prominent homeopathic physician who practiced from 1841 until his death in 1888. Born in Germany, Dr. Lippe immigrated to the United States to learn medicine and graduated from the North American Academy of Homeopathic Medicine in 1841. After graduating, Dr. Lippe practiced across western and central Pennsylvania, eventually settling in Philadelphia. In Philadelphia, Dr. Lippe practiced, and also lectured on Materia Medica at the Homeopathic Medical College of...
Dates: 1812-1888; Majority of material found in 1812-1888

American Entomological Society Records

 Collection — Box 1
Identifier: ANSP-2013-024
Scope and Contents

Transferred to Academy Archives by Jon K. Gelhaus, Curator, Department of Entomology, Academy of Natural Sciences. Gelhaus is also a member and past officer of the AES. This collection contains meeting speaker lists, sign in sheets, and minutes; correspondence; write ups, flyers, and announcements; and investments reports.

Dates: 1950-2000s

American Medical Women's Association records

 Collection
Identifier: WM-037
Overview American Medical Women’s Association (AMWA) was founded on November 18, 1915, by a dedicated group of women physicians at the Chicago Women’s Club. Originally called Medical Women’s National Association (MWNA) until 1937, AMWA has advocated for women in the medical professions and the equal treatment of women in medicine since its inception. AMWA continues to serve the United States and the international community in medical service needs and acts as an important lobbying force for...
Dates: 1847 - 2014; Majority of material found within 1917-1978